With the wet weather and hot, sunny days we’ve had throughout Chicagoland lately, most homes are more than likely feeling very muggy. Enter the solution: the whole home dehumidifier.
Whether it’s portable or connected in-line with your HVAC system, a whole house dehumidifier helps you maintain a healthy humidity level throughout all the rooms in your home. Installed to work in conjunction with your home’s heating and cooling system, a whole home dehumidifier uses its fan to draw air into the unit. The air is passed across the unit’s chilled coil. Contact with these coils causes the excess moisture to collect on them, removing moisture from the air. The air is then recirculated through the HVAC system or into the home, depending on how the dehumidifier is installed.
What Are the Benefits?
Utilizing a whole home dehumidifier offers many benefits for homeowners, including:
- Improved Air Quality: By reducing the amount of moisture in the air, dehumidifiers improve air quality in your home. They can also lessen the concentration of allergens and other pollutants that may cause respiratory issues.
- Energy Savings: Using a dehumidifier can help you reduce the amount of cooling energy that your home uses. And when the air in your home is less humid, it feels cooler. With whole home dehumidifiers, our customers report that they don’t need to run their air conditioners as often, allowing them to conserve energy and save money.
- Mold Protection: Too much moisture in your home can create conditions conducive to mold growth. And, as we all know, mold in a home is just bad news, as it causes damage the structure of your home and is quite hazardous to your health. A whole home dehumidifier works to keep moisture levels throughout the home within the appropriate range to prevent mold growth.
Other Fun Facts
At Earl’s, we use Aprilaire Whole Home Commercial Grade dehumidifiers. When maintained properly, these dehumidifiers can last on average 15 years. In addition, Aprilaire systems save customers money. Check out the savings as reported by Aprilaire:
- save approximately $190.00 per season in electrical costs versus portable dehumidifiers.
- 15 years x $190.00 Utility savings = $2,850.00
Also, when a home is properly humidified the thermostat can be raised a few degrees and save 10% to 15% in utility costs. At Earl’s, we also appreciate the fact that there have been no Aprilaire recalls to date, the units are made in America, and they have a five year warranty.
Aprilaire whole home humidifiers are also extremely versatile and can be used as a standalone unit, plugged in and run with a drain, ducted, wired to a furnace blower system, zoned or used in conjunction with outdoor ventilation. And last but not least, you can control the unit remotely!
Give us a call at (219) 942-9023 to set up your complimentary consultation today!