Brrrrr! This winter has been a cold one for us throughout Northwest Indiana. Our sub-zero temperatures can determine whether your furnace is your best friend or your frigid nightmare! A furnace nightmare can be a costly and time-consuming experience. Hopefully your furnace is up and running properly but if you are looking to purchase a new furnace, we understand that it can be a costly and time-consuming undertaking. Here are a few, simple tips to help you turn a nightmare into a dream-come-true. Make a decision that is the right fit for your family, your home and your pocketbook!
- Look at Your New Furnace as a Long-Term Investment: Most buyers make a buying decision just on the basis of price. We understand that price is an issue for most people but you should also consider equipment with higher energy efficiency ratings. Your investment can help you save money on your NIPSCO bills for years to come, which yields a hiagh return on your investment.
- Take a Long, Hard Look at the Furnace’s Features: There are many “extras” that some people steer clear of when purchasing a new furnace but many of these features complement your plan to be energy efficient and provide hard savings to your bottom line. When making a purchasing decision, here are a few to look for:
- Variable Operation: This means the system can adapt itself to changing conditions and provides better comfort and reliability.
- Safety: Look for systems that offer improved safety, especially when it comes to carbon monoxide detection, which we all know can save lives.
- Humidity Control: Check if the system offers humidity control. It should have the ability to add moisture to the air during winter when the environment gets very dry and should remove humidity during summer.
- Carefully Choose Your HVAC Company: A quality, licensed HVAC companywill install the furnace properly and ensure peak performance of your new system. Check the company’s experience with the particular type and model of equipment. For example, make sure your HVAC installer has experience installing and maintaining your brand of furnace equipment. And, whether you have a gas furnace or an electric furnace, your provider should provide the services necessary to keep your system in good condition. This includes routine maintenance services (with an inspection and tune up of your system, or one each year if you join a maintenance plan), repairs, new installations or gas or electric furnace replacements. Most import – hire an HVAC company that has been in business for more than ten years. Their experience is priceless!
- Consider Energy Ratings: As heating systems are becoming more and more energy efficient, there is no reason why you should invest in a model that isn’t going to save you money in the long run on your energy bills. Check out the ENERGY STAR ratings and choose a model that offers better efficiency at a price that fits your budget.
- Look for Tax Credits and Warranties: Some energy efficient heating systems may qualify you for federal tax credits, some of them up to 30 percent! Warranties are another major consideration to bear in mind while making a choice – the longer and more inclusive the better. ALERT!! NIPSCO may also offer a rebate on energy efficient systems. Your HVAC contractor can provide up-to-date information on these offers.
If you are exploring various options for a furnace and need professional help to make a choice and install the system, give Earl’s Heating and Air Conditioning a call at (219) 942-9023 or contact us on our website at http://www.earlsheating.com/contact/send-message. We are happy to help and offer free quotes in our service area!